Sunday, November 02, 2008

Book Review: The Faith of Barack Obama

SHORT FORM REVIEW: Like many, I found myself caught up in the rush to find out more and more about Barack Obama. He seemed to have some magic, that something special that had people comparing him to JFK. I wanted to know more. Stephen Mansfield's The Faith of Barack Obama provided me with a unique glimpse behind the curtain of what makes this unique young man, now the leader of our country, tick. In the process it, it allowed me a glimpse into others involved in the recent election, including John McCain, providing insight into the views and stances held by the candidates. In a campaign where religion became an issue, this book provided insight into how these stances were reached and their importance to the moral fiber of Barack Obama. Obama's message of hope was one that spoke to many, calling them to action and instilling hope in a better future. Reading this book, it's easy to see where Obama's faith in a better future originated. In some ways, I'm not quite sure I've quite grasped all The Faith of Barack Obama has to offer. The election is too recent, the emotions too high. I plan to revisit it again as I get to know the man who is my President, Barack Obama.

*************
LONG WINDED VERSION:

Before I begin, I'll pause a moment for those of you who know me well, having heard my frequent "I hate politics" statements, to close your jaw that just dropped to the floor. Are you back? Good.

I still deplore the politics of politics but, I've got to admit, as a history major, I find the people and events behind politics itself fascinating. Like many, I, too, found myself caught up in the rush to find out more and more about Barack Obama. He seemed to have some magic, that something special that had people comparing him to JFK. I wanted to know more. Stephen Mansfield's The Faith of Barack Obama provided me with a unique glimpse behind the curtain of what makes this unique young man, now the leader of our country, tick.

In the process, it also gave me a peek at some of the other names that have filled out minds and thoughts lately, from Hillary Clinton to John McCain and the likes of Rev. Wright. All are presented as human being in light of their own religious experiences, humans with strengths and weaknesses and, quite frankly, I wish I had read this prior to the election.

That said, I feel I should mention that one prominent name that we came to know during the election isn't mentioned. Who'd have known Sarah Palin, the governor of my state (Alaska), would be a major player in this election cycle. In some ways her absence from these pages is disappointing. I would love to read Mansfield's take on the prominent role religion plays in her life. In other ways, well, I'm relieved. The book is, after all, about Barack Obama and his interaction with the other players and no matter how much some have been drawn to Gov. Palin, she came to the stage late in the process and despite her role during the election itself, played no role beforehand.

One of the most difficult things for me since reading this book as the aura of giddy glee over the election of Obama as President of the United States has been trying to somehow put everything in persepective. We watched Obama as he endured being attacked for his religion and/or supposed lack of it. His ties to Rev. Wright, examined at length in the book, and his personal religious beliefs as presented do help me make sense of what I saw happening, but it leaves one wanting to know "the rest of the story". That certainly isn't a lack in the book, no one could have known how the story would play out and the tremendous importance religion would take in this election, but serves only to make me look forward to a follow-up by Mansfield.

"It is in this unfinished democracy that Obama now finds his greatest challenge," writes Mansfield near the conclusion. He goes on to declare, "He [Obama] is granting America, then -- whether he means to or not -- an opportunity to heal."

Given the events of the past two years and more specifically the last two months of the election of 2008, this is an almost prophetic statement. Obama's message of hope was one that spoke to many, calling them to action and instilling hope in a better future. Reading The Faith of Barack Obama, it's easy to see where Obama's faith in a better future originated. Without preaching to us, the readers, it lays out Obama's beliefs and how they'd been tested and molded over the years. As noted above, it does the same with other players in this year's election, too, to some extent. I picked up the book expecting it to be solely about Obama but found the inclusion of those about him a plus.

In some ways, I'm not quite sure I've quite grasped all The Faith of Barack Obama has to offer. The election is too recent, the emotions too high. I plan to revisit it again and perhaps again. It offers a glimpse into what makes the most powerful leader in our world today tick and for that I'm grateful. I'm looking forward to getting to know Barack Obama and this is an excellent introduction.

No comments: