Saturday, March 28, 2009

More on the volcano

This entire adventure with Mt. Redoubt has been a bit surreal. I also have to admit, like many, I was beginning to become immune to the countless warnings we had leading up to the actual eruption, but no more. Scientists are mining wonderful new information from Alaska's misfortune, I'm sure. Not being the least bit scientific, I'll leave the eventual findings to them to share. Instead, I've been following some wonderful photographic coverage, most recently at:
http://www.groundtruthtrekking.org/blog/

This is well worth a look if only for the time-lapse of one of the many eruptions. Heck, the dang thing has erupted 3-4 times just today, with ash falling on Anchorage earlier this evening. It's funny. One part of me wants to be fearful, afraid not so much of the experience but of not being able to predict when or how the ash will eventually come, while the other part is going, "Yeah! This is so dang cool!" So far, the "cool" aspect seems to be winning, tho' boredom may replace both fear and cool if this keeps up for weeks and weeks as Redoubt seems to have a history of doing. Yes, I keep telling myself, this is an adventure.

PS: And, as I type, an ash warning has been issued for the Matanuska-Valley, my home turf. This adventure is creeping ever closer to my front door.

1 comment:

Mindy Goorchenko said...

Yesterday at the airport, a sudden gust of ash flew right in with no warning. Continental took off anyway (!!! yikes !!!) while all the others grounded their planes. We were downtown and rushed home to Eagle River, driving away from this looming brown cloud of ash heading in our direction. Somehow, it missed our home entirely yesterday.