Sunday, March 21, 2010

Random Sunday Shots from the Mat-Su Valley

For the most part these were all snapped quickly, without much thought, out of a moving vehicle today so I won't claim they're great photos. On the other hand, these quick shots often give a glimpse of Alaska that I'm not so sure we always share, the quirky and quick glimpse that makes you go "Wow!" or "What the....?" Enjoy this glimpse into my real world, not my always photo pretty one. The shot above, btw, was taken on the way to Palmer.
A blurred focus shot that recalls "Old Mat-Su" alongside Palmer-Wasilla Highway.

This is one of my "look mom, no look" shots where I just sorta point the camera and click without looking through the viewfinder. Doesn't always work, gotta admit, but in this case caught a glimpse of, no lie, the Matanuska River as we crossed the bridge and were heading toward Butte.

Another "no look" shot of the Matanuska River. Honest, it's under all the snow and ice somewhere.

A glimpse of antlers....

Some of the cemetaries have lovely entrance-gates.

No offense to artist Jon VanZyle, but for some reason something about this shot out a house window made me think of a framed VanZyle print with the window providing a bit of frame. Note the snow overhang off a metal roof.

I love the ol' style sign at this place in Butte.

Okay, sigh, not every place in Alaska is always as scenic as we'd like.

Taken outside the hotel in Palmer where we stopped for lunch.


I would so much prefer to see this wonderful creature running free in the wild.

I'd love to see this one in the wild, too, not stuffed in a lobby, but, okay, from a distance. Even tho' he's not that big a guy, those claws are fearsome!

No comments: