Friday, December 11, 2009

Ice Fog and Hoar Frost

One of the first things I do when I get up every morning is to look out the back door and check the temperature. But, heck, who needs a thermometer when it's so obvious even the tub house is cold?

Then there was the view out the front window. Do not adjust your settings. This is fog, an icy fog, not my eyes being unfocused.

On the other hand, once it cleared away around here, it sure was pretty. This one is from my front yard.

This shot and those that follow were all taken from the parking lot area of Home Depot in the early afternoon. This one is looking down over Wasilla Lake and across to the Talkeetna Mts.

I love trees, especially cool looking ones covered with snow.

Same tree with its neighbors showing this time.

Gee, a little "white" out there today, huh?

Hoar frost, tho' seems unfair to call it this since I'm far more used to having to go out in negative digits to take pix of it. I mean, come on. We were having a heat wave. It was somewhere in the, uh, lower/mid-single digit numbers on the plus side.



The previous shots were all taken more or less toward the east. Note that the sky color and clearness change a bit as I look down toward where Chugiak and Eagle River are.

Again, looking east....

Looking south



Interesting, too, how the intensity of the blue skies we had even varied depending on how high or low you looked in the sky.

Artsy moment, leaf in ice....

Oh, what the heck, artsy moment two, "Another leaf in ice"

Blue sky easternly....

And a heck of a lot of what I'm assuming is mostly ice fog toward Eagle River and Chugiak.

Looking out over Parks Highway, this stretch being east of where the Palmer-Wasilla Hwy. intersection is located.

Kinda interesting. I put the camera aside long enough to run into the book store over there and when I came out not only had the sun changed a bit, but the skies down toward Chugiak were looking a tad bluer. Of course, not sure those below the fog line could appreciate it....

But, I was liking the effect of the sun on the icy trees


Even cooler, the snowy stuff closer to me and in the shade was beginning to take on that cold, blue look so common in winter photos.

Skinny

Pretty darn scenic for a parking lot, huh?

Bad timing on my part, most of the area around Wasilla Lake was in shadow, but you can see the ice formed on the sign anyway.

1 comment:

Marlyn said...

Lovely June. I have a new computer and can now enjoy your photographs. Marlyn