Monday, December 21, 2009

Snow Piles, Part 2

Borden's truck covered with the white stuff. Please note, it's "plugged in" to help insure it won't be frozen to death when they turn the key next time to start it. Most folks who park a vehicle outside here do the same.

This is probably about as close to a solstice sunset as I'm going to get, albeit I was a tad early. Pretty gray day here, alas, tho' the sunrise was trying to be impressive.

Walkin', er, drivin' in a winter wonderland....

Happy Solstice, everyone. We get +9 seconds more of light tomorrow! Yeah!

Weird snow. This is the snow outside the gate. As you can see, for reasons known only to it, the under layer of snow, which is the older snow, seems to be melting (receding?) while the newer, thicker layer is clinging together and even overhanging the old layer.

My snow-pile from the driveway clearing. I seem to even have my very own crevice in the making. Mt. Holiday? Holiday Mt. in the making?

Betty, all it took was a morning of warmer temps (30 degrees on my deck!!!) and wind to pretty much clear away your spruce tree's coat of snow.

I talked about the snow ribbons (or snow snakes if you prefer) last post. This is about all that is left of them after that same wind that cleared away the snow on Betty's Spruce tree. The blue cord is the outdoor extension that winds along the top of the fence and around to the barn and woodshed.

Side view of the snow ribbon


From outside the fence, looking back alongside the house. I'd just cleared the sidewalk with the snow blower. If you look at the messed up looking snow just below the center of the photo, that's where I stopped to step around the snow blower to move a big clump by hand. For the record, the snow was over the tops of my NEOS. Gotta love this winter wonderland landscape, but there is lots of work that comes with the scenic value, I'm afraid.

No comments: