Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Solstice, Hatcher Pass

On the road again...to Hatcher Pass.



I double clicked the camera to take this shot and the next as close to "high noon" as I could, so they're my Summer Solstice shots. I have no clue what time the "official Solstice" is/was, so figured noon'ish worked for me.

Looking to my left just a few seconds later...

I never tire of the views up here.

That said, by the time I worked my way up to the Lodge/mine area, it was like I'd passed through a time warp. Clouds were slowly rolling in and you could almost feel a sudden drop in temperature. The white building are of the mie from the lower parking lot. It is open to the mine but I hadn't had lunch and figured I'd be back. Gee, what made me think that? Also, for the record, it looks like the Willow-Fishhook Road is open, or at least the gate on this end was. Not sure if that's a guarantee it's open all the way, but that right there is a reason to go back since I didn't take the tempting bait this drive.

The blue skies were still there, but not the dominant color up this high.


Looking back down toward the Valley as I head back to the car to head toward home.
The long and winding road....

Even getting down the short distance to the pull-over that overlooks the Valley, I could feel the temperature warm up, tho' you can definitely see the clouds were beginning to shift that way, too.
Not quite sure what stretch I took this along, but shows the skies are changing.

Do you think this tree wants to be a catapault when it grow up?

Wildflowers alongside one of the pull-overs. Kathy, this is at the one where we pulled over and you first talked to the snow-boarders that day you went up at race time with me. Looks a tad different, huh?
Not sure if this stream has a name or not, but probably an arm of one of the many streams that flow down from the mountains and join up with the Little Su, which would have been on the other side of the road from where I took this shot. It crosses under the road via a culvert to hook up with the river.
Last time I was here, that hillside was covered with white stuff.

More wildflowers. Are these the ones called chiming bells or just blue bells or what? In any case, a lovely end to a lovely, albeit too brief, jaunt to one of my favorite spots on earth, Hatcher Pass.

No comments: