Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Sunday

"Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!"

That phrase could easily be changed to "Toto, I don't think I'm in Florida anymore!" If I were still living in Florida, I'd still be wandering around barefooted, looking out the window and pondering a jaunt to the beach or at least the backyard to sunbathe. Easter weekend conjures up not just memories of barefooted days at the beach, of course, but remembering what it's really all about with sunrise service at church, the "must have" new Easter outfit, often with "Easter Bonnet", for church, and coloring Easter Eggs.

Here, Easter is a time to remember what it's all about, but barefoot isn't in the scenario. When I woke up this morning, it was snowing. Snowing lightly, true, and it didn't amount to much, melting about as fast as it fell, but it was a reminder of what a different world I live in here in Alaska. The most astonishing thing for my Florida friends would probably be that the snow came as no real surprise to me. I have photos of me stomping around in "real snow" my first Easter here, not to mention a visiting moose outside Rosemary's home in Anchorage. I've since lost count of how many times I've taken photos of my booted feet in snow, but there are photos somewhere of that event. Not enough snow to go stomp around in this year, tho', (shh, can't say that too loud in case Mother Nature is listening), so I'll settle for sharing a bit of enjoying God via his handiwork.

No flip-flops for me, but Easter Season here is one close to nature, one where you are reminded that you see God's handiwork each and every day. Just in case I haven't said it lately, I love this place!

No comments: