Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday's Blue Skies at Wasilla Lake

The ice no longer comes to the shoreline, a sure sign that spring is making inroads here!


The pile of snow on the ice is snow that was shoved over from atop the ice to make a smoother surface for hockey and ice skating, both of which are popular pasttimes at/on the lake during the winter months.

As you can see, breakup is trying to work its magic, but the ice still clings. This was taken along the shoreline nearest the parking area.

I shoved up the contrast on this one to make the one lone cloud about the mountains stand out. Although there were some low, huge, puffy white clouds that looked like part of the mountains themselves to the, oh, sorta SE, overall it was a gorgeous, cloudless blue sky kinda day.

Pretty as the scene is, if you look close, you'll notice some of the snow trying out for "ugly snow photos" of the day. Most likely some of the dirty stuff is volcanic ash.

An artsy moment, "Rock Reflected in Water". Are you artistically impressed? I didn't think so but, hey, you know me and my rocks.

When I look at scenes like this, I always feel like I should break out in a chorus of "Oh, what a beautiful morning...." Maybe someday I'll actually get inspired enough to write an Alaskan version of this song....or not.

Here's that low, puffy white cloud I was talking about. Looked like someone dropped cotton balls behind the mountain.

While I was looking for something to take a photo of that I don't already have a gazillion shots of, I happened to see, really see, the stepway down to the lake from the Pizza Hut parking lot. It makes it much easier to make your way up/down but, man, some of those steps are big ones when you're going back up the hill!

One last shot, the view from the top of those steps. You can see the open water close along the shoreline.

No comments: