Sunday, June 07, 2009

Everything's Just Ducky at Lake Lucille

It was an absolutely gorgeous day here in Wasilla, so I went and stalked a few ducks since the mountains weren't being cooperative and showing their faces in a focused, sharp manner. I took this series at the Best Western Inn on Lake Lucille, which is about five minutes from my house.
Bingo! Not just ducks, but a mama duck.

They had just come up out of the water onto the grass and were now heading out on the dock for some sun. Well, at least until an annoying photographer showed up and wouldn't give them any privacy.
3 babies total
I wasn't as close as it appears, remember, so I really wasn't bugging them .... at least too much.
All together now, Ahhhhhhhhh.....

Hey, where did Mom go?
Let's find her!

" Wait a minute," says LeadDuckie. "She's taking another swim!" (Don't you just love that enthusiastic march step by the last duck? Actually, it had been scratching its head and I missed the scratch.)

"But, but, I just got dried off!"

As you can see, LeadDucky's idea ruled. Here they are, united in the water.

Whoa, not sure if I got the Dali effect that I found at Knik Lake or maybe a bit of Van Gogh on this one!
I lost track of my quarry briefly when I stopped to talk to a couple folks interested in stalking some ducks with cameras, too, but thought I'd toss this one in to show that the planes along shore seem to have returned to the water.

Oh, there they are. They'd gone ashore again at the bottom of the boat launch area.
More funky photo effects, mostly caused by a slight change in position and thus the sunlight.
Now that there were three of us annoying humans on the docks, Mama wasn't feeling quite so secure.
By the way, I checked the temp of the water up near the gazebo and it was darn cold to my fingers.

Artsy moment once I realized many shots into my stalking mission that they were reflecting in the water.

"Hey, Mom, look at me! I'm LeadDuck!!!"

But not for long. There were some people (I could hear 'em) in one of the yards that joins the lake, so Mama was keeping 'em close.
Loved the interestingly weird reflections and distortions in the water.
Ah, finally, all my ducks in a row.....

No comments: