Friday, August 28, 2009

Fair Fun -- Equestrian Show

We lucked out and came in the gate right beside where they were doing the equestrian show. Turned out the performers were from Florida and had hauled the horses up the Alcan! This horse is Pharoah, a Belgium.
I've got to admit, as a kid, standing up on the horse was just one of the rituals of growing up, but I can't juggle on solid ground, let alone a moving horse.
And my mama taught me not to play with sharp things! Ha
The "little guy" with the long main and tail was named Romeo. Does it say anything about my "horse crazy girl" past that I got the names of the horses but never asked the performers for theirs?
Notice the pads on the horses' back to both protect them and give the performers a better grip.
Not a bad backdrop, huh?
The one with the white nose is Maverick and, dang it, I forgot the other name. Bad me. But this was their first performance and these two were full of it and ready to run.
Jumping over hay bales
Oops, not quite in sync here, but he stayed on.

What he's doing here is doing the sorta gymnastics routine you'd see in compettion on the pommel horse, only these horses are real and moving.
Uh, back performer, they're going the other way.

I never talked to the gal, but I was in love with Romeo, even while admitting I'd hate to be the one in charge of keeping his mane and tail combed out.

He'd just done a flip in the air off of Romeo and was continuing to flip across the arena.

More gymnastics on horseback

Back flip off of Romeo

Handstand at a canter
Pretty good "air"

Believe it or not, he came back down on top of the horse.
Wow, I was impressed.

Riding piggy back, sorta, on a horse's back.

Pharoah. After the show, they brought the horses over to the fence line so spectators could meet them and pet them. Okay, Pat, Helen and I were "big kids", but we were right there in line, too. Loved this show.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I am in awe of these photos. I'm a pretty active equestrian but could not even imagine attempting something like that. Thanks for posting these!