Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Aurora Cemetary, Wasilla, AK, Memorial Day 2009

According to a genealogy webpage dedicated to it, "The Aurora Cemetary...was constructed by citizens of Wasilla in 1947. In 1948, a school contest chose the name of the new cemetary and a student named Allayne Nelson won five dollars for her suggestion of Aurora Cemetary. Today the cemetary is owned and cared for by the City of Wasilla." It's located on Wasilla Fishhook Road, not far from the Bogart/Main Street intersection.
It's a unique place, at once serene and peaceful, yet full of quirky personality. It was wonderful to see so many people out today visiting, leaving flowers and flags and just enjoying the warmth of the sun as they strolled through the site.

No "one size fits all" remembrances here. One of the things I love about the place is how families have personalized the burial sites, such as with this wheel with a horseshoe welded to it. I always wonder what the stories are of the more unique display, I've got to admit. I have found a website for it, so I'm printing it out as I type, determined to take the burial list over there one of these days and walk about in a more orderly manner than my usual wandering manner.

For instance, what does this birdhouse tell us about the person who rests here? Birder? Just someone who loved birds? Maybe they made the birdhouse? I know, questions, questions, questions, but it adds a human element to visits.
Aurora Cemetary's claim to fame, the resting place of Joe Redington Sr., the Father of the Iditarod. He's buried here in his sled.

Above, two Iditarod Trail markers, one of which, I believe, was simply nailed to a nearby tree my first visit. Below, a better view of the entire Redington plot, benches and all, with a purple aray of flowers to mark Vi Redington's spot.
This plot always intrigues me. The green within the walls is similar to the artificial turf you'd see on a puttpoutt golf course, so I've often wondered if this person was a golfer (nope, no golf hints visible) or the family has simply latched onto a good way to help control the often wild growth of Alaska grasses. In any case, just one of many intriguing mysteries of the place.

1878
This is a lovely, simple marker, but one that makes me want to know more about this person. Many of The Mat-Su Valley's pioneers are buried here, so I've often wondered if she were one of them.

If you didn't know you were in a cemetary, on the surface this would look like a lovely setting for a relaxing day outside. Sadly, the toy horse is the key. It stands here, waiting for a child who is forever gone. There are many lovely items here, including benches at each end in addition to the chair, but I always find myself touched by this display of love for a child now gone.

As many times as I've seen this little "spirit house," today was the first time I'd noticed the horse. Makes me wonder if Beverly was a horse person.

Just a stark reminder of why I was really there on Monday, in memory of those who gave their all so that I could be free and safe to travel at will.

A little wishing well sits atop one gravesite.

I've got to admit, there's just something about the quirkiness of a tire as a part of a gravesite decoration that tickles my fancy.
More unique, personal touches.

Finally, in memory of our brave military men and women who served, a flower in your honor. May all rest in peace. Thank you for serving.

No comments: