Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Couldn't Resist Another Jaunt to Hatcher Pass

**Click on images for larger version**

The Little Su(sitna) from the bridge just before the viewing platform. Yeah, I know, leave it to me to skip the nice, handy platform and brave any traffic to shoot up the river.

It's still rather amazing to think all this was covered with snow and ice not that long ago.
Oh, yeah, I was loving these clouds.
Alaska trees have got to be tough given some of the places they opt to live.

I stopped at the bottom of what can only be described as a tall wall of rock to shoot up at the sky.

Then again, there were some pretty interesting things at my feet, too, like this split rock with water rushing over and through it.

This is one of my standard photo targets, which doesn't look quite so avalanche prone nowadays. Taken from just below the MotherLode at a pull-over.

Dang, that snow "ledge" at the top is still hanging in there. I must remember to check and see if there really is a ledge of sorts there when the snow is gone, if it does ever fully melt up there.

First view of the mine area (good luck finding it) and lodge, with a view of the twisty road at bottom middle.

This is where Willow Fishhook Road emerges on this end. It's still closed, however, which means the road is still snow/ice covered on up the road from here.

I'm up near the toll booth below Independence Mine, looking down toward the lodge and then the Valley beyond.



See the road sorta left center? That's part of Willow Fishhook, showing a snow covering even this close to the lodge area.

Have you ever seen the painting where the artist hides Native Americans, horses, eagles and the like inside of them? I think you could do this with some of these mountains this time of year.

See the red roof? Honest, it's s roof. It's the roof of the gift shop up at the Independence Mine entrance. It's where I want to be soon. There is a book in the gift shop calling my name. I didn't buy it last trip and have regretted it ever since, so I've been waiting on summer for many, many months and the chance to go buy that dang book again.

See, so close and yet so far. Here, gift shoppie, melt your snow covered road, please, so I can get my book fix. The book is about Hatcher Pass and the mine, btw.
The streams are running fast again.
Buildings that were once part of a thriving mine community.

Closed toll booth...bummer.

I was actually feeling hopeful the road to the mine might be open at this point. Sometimes, even if the toll booth isn't manned (it's waayyy out there, so tough to keep it manned at times), it would be possible for the road to be open. There are self-pay areas to pay the entrance fee.

Alas, after walking up the road just a bit, I saw the closed sign and snow AND ice. Since I was in sneakers, didn't venture any further, knowing if there was this much snow/ice here, it'd get deeper around the corner. It really is amazing how much altitude can change weather. I was in jeans, a long sleeved denim shirt and sneakers, no jacket, and was actually comfortable, but it was definitely cooler here than down closer to the lower levels.

Then again, gift shop or not, it's hard to be bummed when you're surrounded by views like this.

Not to mention, a view like this above me. Thanks for looking out for me, God, and providing such a lovely canopy above me at the same time.


Just in case I haven't told y'all lately, I LOVE THIS PLACE!

I never seem to be able to resist taking "just one more" shot down out of the mountains into Mat-Su Valley. It really is an amazing feeling to realize that you're looking down on mountains that dwarf you from below. Yep, it's that high up.

And if the mountains aren't calling my name, there always seems to be a stream (or rock or tree or....) calling my name.


My one pretty much unsuccessful artsy moment, going for the light through the slats of the bridge. Still, fun shot and I don't recall haven't noticed the bridge before, so a new camera target for me.

Oops, I lied. One more artsy moment, the ol' "Point the camera toward the window and click" shot.
I may have to make this one bigger, not sure, but there are two birds in this one. Magpies...see if you can find 'em. Another car pulled in just as I was trying to focus and they took off, dang it.

Downward we go, heading home. I'm just above the MotherLode and Gold Mint Trail parking areas here.
I decided the snow slide in the middle reminded me of a dancing guy you might see painted on a cave wall. Yeah, I know. Too much imagination, but it's fun to "find" stuff through the view-finder.

I'd like to claim this as an artsy moment cos the "circles" are there, but it as one of those sheer serendipity shots.
The snow along the top of these mountains also outlines the tops of the Talkeetna Mts. that I can see from home.

Blue skies, cool clouds, majestic mountains, incredible views....what's not to like about this place?

No comments: