Monday, May 04, 2009

Monday at Hatcher Pass

Since it was warm, the sun was shining and it was an all around gorgeous day, I decided to take advantage of the weather and head out to Hatcher Pass. This is one of the first good looks you get at the mountains as you approach and I am rarely able to resist stopping to snap a photo, even when I know the best is yet to come.
Just before you get to the turn where the pull-over and viewing platform is along the Little Su, this is a less visited view of the river on the opposite side of the road.
Not long after you make the left turn indicated, you're in the shade for awhile as you drive along steep, road hugging cliffs leading you upward.
I bet it's pretty obvious why I love this drive, even if it is a 54 miler round-trip.
Amazing clouds, amazing mountains, even some scenic trees....what not to like?
Last time I was here, that mountain-side was still a sheet of white.
Can you tell I found these clouds intriguing?


It looks flat here, buy you're really winding up, way, way up.

As you wind higher and higher, you will notice that the snow hasn't given up at the higher elevations. Some of it is quite thin, but it's hanging in there.

The lines down the side of the mountain intrigued me.



Last visit, not quite a month ago, the snow was up to the bottom of the top, Hatcher Pass Lodge sign.

Parts of the mine area almost blend into the stark darkness of the rock outs against the snow.


There's a huge parking lot near the lodge just before you go into the mine area. This lovely stream now runs alongside it. Last time I was there, this was all snow and ice.
Distant view of the Independence Mine area, the gift shop (once mine manager's home) to the right with the red roof.
Looking down into Mat-Su Valley
I changed lens to give you a broader view out of that same parking lot as I looked down toward the Mat-Su Valley. The large building right is the lodge, the smaller ones part of its rentals for skiiers or whatever.

Pulling out of the parking lot at the lodge, beginning to head back down the moutain.



This isn't far from the MotherLode and you can see that the ice and snow hasn't quite given up even at that altitude.




One of my favorite spots, the viewing platform over the Little Su, looking back at the mountains.

No more ice and snow here and the Little Su's roar is back.
One last look back at the mountains as I decide I'd better quite taking pictures and start driving without stopping every fifty feet. I'll be back, Hatcher Pass!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Funny how just a few days can change things! I took a drive up to Hatchers Pass a few days before you did and it seems like there was a bit more snow when I was there. It was such a beautiful day that, like you, I couldnt resist the drive up there. If I hadnt had to go pick my kids up from school I could have stayed up there for hrs enjoying the views! Great photos!

June said...

It seems like it's really greened up at the house over the last couple days, so I'm betting it'll be lots greener out there by now. Glad you enjoyed the trip. I kinda laugh at myself taking my gazillionth photo of, say, the tree by the viewing platform, but they do change and I love watching the changes. Thanks for the kind words about the photos.