Friday, May 08, 2009

Knik Museum, Historic Iditarod Trail

I've only been inside this place once and it wasn't open today, but I sure hope to get inside with the camera at least one more time. I went with a teacher group a few years ago and was absolutely fascinated, so I know I'd be able to kill a few hours snapping away. For today, tho', the great outdoors had to suffice.
I obviously need to get out more cos none of these three signs were around when I was here last.

My first inclination, because it looked like it might be wet down there (it sits down a steep driveway) was to just walk up the side of the road, braving the trucks flying by, to snap a few shots from above. This is that view of the historic Iditarod Trail. The blue fencing protects a Native Alaskan spirit house.
It's a reminder of those who were here first and that this place should be respected for that reason, too, not just because of the white man's history connected to Knik.

Still from the road, still pondering "do I walk down or not". The white sign is the back side of a sign you'll see in a bit.
Oh, wow, June got brave and decided to wander down the gravel driveway and was happy to see it really was just the shadows making it look wet down there. View just past the trees of Knik Hall, now a musher museum, too.
Remember the back side of that sign? This is the front side. It commemorates the Historic Iditarod Trail which, from this spot, winds up a gentle (in Alaska) slope, crosses a road or two not far from here, and then leads to Nome.
I still find it pretty cool to be able to say that I've ridden a dog sled up this hill and am thus able to say "I did, I did, I did the Iditarod Trail!" Just don't tell anyone how briefly, okay?

If you've followed the Iditarod for awhile, you've probably seen photos of teams passing this cabin not long after they'd left Knik Lake when the restart was from Wasilla.
This would be the musher view of Knik Hall as they leave Knik Lake, which teams still do in training or in the Knik 200 race.

I was lucky enough to have Vi Redington on hand to give me part of the tour I took, so it's wonderful to see her honored here.


This stands to the right rear of the hall. Sod roofs such as this were common at the time of construction.

I'm standing at the bottom of the hill looking back up at the road where I took the earlier photos from. Across that road is Knik Arm, which the next entry (if I'm organizing right) will show.

Walking back up the hill toward my patiently waiting car.

A grab-shot out the car window, showing one of the signs constructed to honor Joe Redington Sr.
New fans may not know the significance of this sign, but I bet long time fans will know what Tang has to do with the Iditarod (think Joe Sr.)

No comments: