Saturday, May 09, 2009

Eklutna Lake

Hmm, they said it was a narrow road. They weren't lying and if you went off the right side, you'd be flying, or tumbling down a steep drop. It wasn't too bad here, tho', even had a spot to pull over for a photo.
Okay, I wasn't liking the road but I was sure liking the view.... when I could drag my eyes away from the non-existent shoulders of the road.
Gorgeous day....

I'm not sure if I was crooked or the road was, but this was one of the widest shoulders all the way up the climb, so it deserved a photo of its very own. As you can see, tho', it wasn't wide enough to allow me to pull off the road, which twisted up and up, but with glorious views all the way.
Can you tell I was obsessed with shoulders of the road. Another "wide" one as shoulders of the road go up this road. On one section there was not only no shoulder but the white strip was crumbling into nothingness and dropping into the abyss.

But, then again, when not obsessing about the road, I was enjoying the views. I think this was from the one true pull-over I found.


Eklutna Lake: I was absolutely sure I'd been here before when I left the house today but there is no way cos I would have remember the drive up. Ice on the lake still, as you can see. Lots of people hiking but didn't see anyone even thinking about water sports of any kind.




I probably pretty obviously played with the colors but wanted to show where the ice ends and the water began from the shoreline. Open for a wide stretch, then you could see the ice again across the way.

Just to give you an idea of the drop off along side the uphill side of the road, this is just the very tippy-top section. Yeah, I'm a wuss....


Down we go.....down was better than up cos I was on the hillside side of the road. Ha


I'd been watching this view in the rear view mirror on the way up, so was glad it stayed clear so I could snag a few photos on the way back down to Glenn Highway.
Whoa, have I reached the end of the world, er, road? Nah, just sharp turn and another fun, sharp drop-off along the side of the road. Me, obsessed with drop-offs? Never...well, maybe.

Nearing the bottom and Old Glenn, which would quickly lead me back out onto Glenn Highway and headed home.

Ah, the Flats and Glenn Highway.

Hey, I got the watch out for moose sign! Not bad for pointing the camera out the window withou looking!

Another out the window shot. Honest, I just point and shoot without looking more than a blink of the eye. It's a learned skill that I don't practice when I'm in traffic.

Occasionally my aim isn't that good and I get a brick wall of something, but in this case got two shots for the price of one. Gotta love that "in my rear-view mirror" view, too.

You'll hear those of us who live here talking about "the Flats" at times. It's a section of the Glenn Highway that is, well, very flat. It has "toothpick trees" (a story for another day, another blog) It's also a haven for moose, as this sign might hint. I'm headed home....

No comments: